Green Tech Girls is hosting a 5 – Day summer boot camp (5 – 9 August, 2019) for secondary school girls nominated from public schools in rural and peri – urban communities across Ibadan Oyo State, Nigeria.
The aim is to build 200 girls to be green energy advocates, climate ambassadors, bold and confident to be change makers in their communities and beyond. The summer camp is free for the participating girls.
Green Tech Girls is founded by Damilola Asaleye, a female renewable energy expert with over 12 years professional experience in the technical industry and co founder of Ashdam Solar. Green Tech Girls is an offspring of Ashdam Solar Initiative with a mission to bridge the gender knowledge and skills gap in the technology industry through providing the capacity building for girls/ women to excel in the technical industry especially in the area of green and renewable energy resources.
The 2019 Green Tech Girls summer bootcamp is focused on girls from low income families and rural communities, girls who do not have access or funds to build their capacities
Venue: St Anne’s Girls School, Molete Ibadan
Date: 5 – 9 August, 2019
To register: Contact 09065724265 or 08034284936
Green Tech Girls Summer bootcamp objectives
The objectives of the Green Tech Girls summer bootcamp are as follows:
- To sow the seed of technical career paths in young/teenage girls.
- To mentor the participating girls to see that girls and women can be
technically oriented and still be functional in the primary and nuclear
- To create the much needed agents that will close the gender gap in the next 5
– 10 years.
- To build bold and confident girls that will have the love of the environment
and be advocates of clean energy in their respective communities.
- To reduce energy poverty especially in rural communities.
- To create awareness on causes, impacts and mitigation of climate change.
- To instill entrepreneurial skills in young/teenage girls through the use of
available materials around them tagged or discarded as wastes.
- Introduction to Green Energy Sources
- Climate Change; its causes, impacts and solutions and advocacy
- Introduction to Basic Solar Electricity.
- Introduction to Energy Management and Energy Efficiency
- Introduction to clean cooking
- Installation Tools and Safety Basics
- Solar Photovoltaic System Components
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Team Building and Entrepreneurial Classes
- Girls Menstrual Health, Hygiene and Health Talks
- Assembling of solar panels
- Building of Solar Oven
- Creation of decorative antics with plastic wastes
- Impacts of plastic wastes
The green tech girls summer camp 2019 is going be day camp (girls will not be boarded).
Pictures from previous summer camp (named Ashdam solar 4 girls camps)